Around 440,000 car accidents, crashes, and collisions were reported in Texas in 2019 alone. It is quite evident that auto accidents are not rare in the state. After an accident, people often feel shocked and overwhelmed, and as a result, they don’t follow the necessary norms. If the accident happened because of the other driver, you may have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit, for which your action after the accident will matter. Among other things, you must also consider consulting a Houston car accident attorney, to know the true worth of your claim. In this post, we are sharing more on what to do after an auto accident in Texas.
- Get medical help. Even if you feel okay, others may need medical attention and help. Call emergency right away.
- Inform the police. No matter the circumstances, you have to inform a law enforcement agency about the accident. It’s best that you do the same from the scene of accident, provided you are okay.
- Cooperate with the police. When the police arrive at the scene, you have to cooperate with them, although you shouldn’t be making a statement at this point. Complete due formalities, if asked to, but don’t agree to anything.
- Take photos. If you are feeling alright, consider taking photos of everything at the accident site. From vehicles to damaged properties, make sure that you have enough photographic and video evidence.
- Write down the details of everyone involved. Take time to note down the names, addresses, and contact details of witnesses and other drivers, which will come handy if you decide to file an insurance claim.
- Inform your insurance company. Keep in mind that Texas follows the modified comparative fault rule, which means that if you were partly at fault, the other party may file an insurance claim with your insurer. Consider informing the insurer in advance.
- Contact an attorney. While there is no law that states that you have to hire an attorney after a car accident, it is wise to consider the same. An attorney can give a fair overview of what to expect from the case, and they can help you deal with the insurance company, which is often the hardest part.
Don’t let the other driver talk you out of calling the police. Take action in time, so that you don’t get blamed for the accident. Also, do make sure that your car accident lawyer in Houston has experience with similar cases.